Perspective in Storytelling 23
We have officially entered 3-point perspective territory!! I love 3-point perspective. This would be the FIRST time I used 3-point perspective, and it’s one of my favorites. Actually, that first inset panel was also in 3-point perspective…I was pretty excited about my new discovery!
Let me first be very clear: YOU DO NOT EVER HAVE TO DRAW 3-POINT PERSPECTIVE. It is not important. I don’t use it very often…about once every 20 pages, but it depends on the story. It’s just fun, and has the added bonus of making you look good. But technically, it is never needed to tell a good story.
When you do use it, make sure it’s for something that matters. It will make your reader’s eyes pause. The panel will last longer. This isn’t just because it’s pretty. Let me explain a theory I have:
The human eye can’t see all that much at once. And as such, it really only sees in 1-point or 2-point perspective. This is maybe technically not true…like we all have some sort of fisheye thing going on in the corners of our eyes. But the stuff we can focus on in one glance is pretty straight forward.
Perspective changes when we move our eyes, or turn our heads. The actual act of seeing in 3-point perspective or fisheye or panorama—or anything that advanced—is from us seeing something in multiple frames. So when we see something complex like this on the page, it makes us think we are IN THE ACT of moving our eyes or our heads. So in a way, crazy perspective makes one panel seem like a short animation sequence.
Uh, either that, or I’m just crazy.
Technique-wise, what I’ve done here is use my tilted 2-point perspective strategy, and added to it. So I first go to Edit>Free Transform and adjust as I did in this video. THEN, before I click that checkbox, I right-click the grid, and it gives me more transform options. I pick “Distort,” and drag a couple corners so that the set of lines that once were parallel are parallel no longer.
When you do this you have to decide which side of those parallel lines you’d like to stretch. So just ask yourself which side you think is slightly closer to you, the viewer.
In this panel I made the closest perspective point pretty low, so everything above it’s super distorted. There are so many fun things you can do with perspective!
(Let me do you a favor and say do NOT try using 3-point perspective in panels that are small, or ones where there are not a lot of lines. It’s just a waste of your time; no one will notice that it’s 3-point perspective, even subconsciously, because there’s not enough to go by.)
For more perspective posts, click here.
- thegreatequalizerjoeyfmisfit likes this
- jaq-frost likes this
- zacharymasao likes this
- milkfoam reblogged this from idk-how-to-art
- lilitty likes this
- cuteasspandanerd reblogged this from thy-pariahs
- thy-pariahs reblogged this from amyreeder
- skater2112 likes this
- wireandquill reblogged this from mooncalfe
- rinnythedork likes this
- wafflechocobo likes this
- turkeybaconese reblogged this from sodalimepop
- tehartmonkee likes this
- robpopsdrawstuff reblogged this from sodalimepop
- sodalimepop reblogged this from redlacedbird
- sodalimepop likes this
- captiankid reblogged this from redlacedbird
- captiankid likes this
- xxlostentityxx reblogged this from redlacedbird
- thevelosarahptor likes this
- firelordbatman likes this
- luxcapacitator likes this
- avataranimefreak likes this
- redlacedbird reblogged this from vladbride
- redlacedbird likes this
- vladbride reblogged this from amyreeder
- dr-edmund-gelatin likes this
- laughingspade likes this
- jonred99 reblogged this from amyreeder
- mushroomresources reblogged this from amyreeder
- mushroomresources likes this
- tobiasohmagashi likes this
- missmagpiesnest likes this
- electrasketch likes this
- referencefuture reblogged this from idk-how-to-art
- thehouseofm likes this
- thehouseofm reblogged this from amyreeder
- noxydizzy likes this
- km207 likes this
- idamnloveorange likes this
- 1090506 reblogged this from becca-esque
- 1090506 likes this
- becca-esque reblogged this from thy-pariahs
- becca-esque likes this
- smokepony reblogged this from amazinglyartisticadvice
- wahn-sinn likes this
- henrycrinkle likes this
- loudintr0duction reblogged this from idk-how-to-art
- evace reblogged this from amyreeder